Early Universal: Vol. 2 (Region B BLU-RAY)
UK IMPORT Blu-Ray Disc Region B Locked. Will only play on ALL REGION BLU-RAY Players
The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present three early silent features from Universal Pictures, all fully restored as part of the studio's ongoing restoration program.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (dir. Stuart Paton, 1916) – Allen Holubar stars as the domineering Captain Nemo, who rescues the passengers of an American naval vessel after ramming them with his iron-clad, steampunk submarine, The Nautilus. Incorporating material from Verne's Mysterious Island, the film also follows the adventures of a group of Civil War soldiers whose hot-air balloon crash lands on an exotic island, where they encounter the untamed "Child of Nature" (Jane Gail).
The Calgary Stampede (dir. Herbert Blaché, 1925) – Real life rodeo champion Hoot Gibson plays Dan Malloy, an expert rider who wins the big one, the Calgary Stampede. When the father of his new French-Canadian girlfriend (Virginia Browne Faire) turns up dead, Malloy is the only suspect!
What Happened to Jones? (dir. William A. Seiter, 1926) – Reginald Denny plays a wealthy young bachelor on the night before his wedding. He is convinced to attend a poker party which is promptly raided, sending him on the run in a series of increasingly hilarious disguises.
Special Features and Technical Specs:
- NEW RESTORATIONS undertaken by Universal Pictures (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and What Happened to Jones? restored in 4K, The Calgary Stampede restored in 2K)
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – score by Orlando Perez Rosso
- The Calgary Stampede – score by Chris Tin
- What Happened to Jones? – score by Anthony Willis
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – New video appreciation by author / critic Kim Newman
- The Calgary Stampede – Brand new audio commentary by professor and film scholar Jason A. Ney
- What Happened to Jones? – New audio commentary by film historian and writer David Kalat
- A collector's booklet featuring new writing on the films included in this set
- Limited Edition O-Card slipcase [2000 copies]