Phantom of the Monastery, The (Limited Edition BLU-RAY)
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Made in the wake of La Llorona’s success and directed with flair by Fernando de Fuentes (regarded as one of the masters of early Mexican cinema), The Phantom of the Monastery (El fantasma del convento) tells the macabre tale of a troupe of hikers who become lost in a forest and take refuge in a haunted monastery. There, they encounter shape-shifting shadows, ominous sealed doorways, and a cellar crowded with coffins...
An expressionistic Gothic triumph which has tragically languished in obscurity outside of Mexico, The Phantom of the Monastery has now been lovingly restored and is presented on Blu-ray at long last in a world debut edition, along with a selection of illuminating extras.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- New 4K restoration from the original negative by the UCLA Film & Television Archive in collaboration with the Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project
- Original mono audio
- Video appreciation by Abraham Castillo Flores, head programmer of Mexico’s Morbido Fest (2022)
- Optional English subtitles
- Limited edition exclusive booklet featuring a new essay by Maricruz Castro Ricalde, an archival piece by screenwriter Juan Bustillo Oro, archival articles on the film’s production and promotion, an overview of the restoration process, and an overview of contemporary critical responses
- World premiere on Blu-ray