THE MUSIC, THE ARTISTS, AND THE HYPE THAT DEFINED A GENERATION!
Drop into the Pacific Northwest in the early '90s and watch a vibrant underground music scene explode into a global "grunge" media frenzy. Hype! follows the music from local bands playing for their friends, to Sub Pop Record’s brilliant exploitation of "the Seattle Sound," to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hitting #1 on the charts. Questions of money, authenticity, and fame arise as "grunge fashion" hits the runways and a mass migration of wanna-be Seattle bands saturates the city. The Northwest experience is one of humor, loss, and epic irony. With intense live performances by Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, and many more, Hype! rocks the definitive story of the world's last great local music scene.
"TWO THUMBS UP!" – SISKEL & EBERT
- NEW HD Transfer From The 35mm Interpositive
- NEW “Hype! 20 Years After” – Featuring New Interviews With Members Of Mudhoney, Soundgarden, And The Fastbacks, Record Producers Jack Endino And Steve Fisk, Manager Susan Silver, And Photographer Charles Peterson
- NEW Audio Commentary By Director Doug Pray
- Audio Commentary By Director Doug Pray And Producer Steve Helvey
- Peter Bagge’s Animated Short, “Hate”
- Additional Performances (With Optional Director’s Commentary) By Mudhoney, Supersuckers, Pond, And The Gits
- Additional Interviews With Megan Jasper, Art Chantry, Tad, Leighton Beezer, Peter Bagge, And More
- Theatrical Trailer