Laughing Woman, The (BLU-RAY)
In this deliciously twisted pop art extravaganza, Dagmar Lassander plays Maria, a woman employed in the press office of a large philanthropic organization run by the stern Dr Sayer. One Friday she visits his house to collect some journals. She accepts a drink from him and the next thing she knows she is chained to a metal frame in a room bathed in a sickly red light. Sayer tells her she is now his prisoner and he can do anything he likes with her – even kill her.
What follows is an astonishing game of cat and mouse, as Maria uses all her skills to stay alive, while secretly exploring Sayer’s weaknesses. As the story progresses we start to see the characters in a very different light. Is Sayer the demonic psychopath he claims to be? And is Maria really the innocent victim?
With its iconic, late 60’s production design and a brilliant music score by renowned composer Stelvio Cipriani, The Laughing Woman is a stylish and sophisticated entertainment that questions all our prejudices and preconceptions about the relationship between men and women
- Brand new 4k transfer from film negative, digitally restored
- interview with writer/director Piero Schivazappa
- audio commentary from Kat Ellinger
- video essay on the film’s production design from Rachael Nisbet
- animated photo-novel by Jacques Spohr
- exclusive new cover art from Justin Coffee
- optional subtitles
- Mondo Macabro previews