Medicine for Melancholy (BLU-RAY) Coming to Our Shelves June 2023
Shipping calculated at checkout.
One of the great debut features of the twenty-first century, Barry Jenkins’s captivating, lo-fi romance Medicine for Melancholy unfolds against the backdrop of a rapidly gentrifying San Francisco, where a one-night stand between two young bohemians, Micah (Wyatt Cenac) and Jo’ (Tracey Heggins), spins off into a woozy daylong affair marked by moments of tenderness, friction, joy, and intellectual sparring as they explore their relationships to each other, the city, and their own Blackness. Shooting on desaturated video, Jenkins crafts an intimate exploration of alienation and connection graced with the evocative visual palette and empathetic emotional charge that has come to define his work.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New high-definition digital master, approved by director Barry Jenkins and director of photography James Laxton, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- New audio commentary featuring Jenkins
- Audio commentary from 2008 featuring Jenkins, producers Justin Barber and Cherie Saulter, and editor Nat Sanders
- New program about the making of the film, featuring Sanders and actor Wyatt Cenac
- Camera test footage and blooper reel
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic Danielle Amir Jackson
New cover by Alphaville