Nineteen Eighty-Four (Region B BLU-RAY/Region 2 DVD Combo)
UK IMPORT BLU-RAY is Region B Locked. DVD is Region 2 Locked. Will only play on ALL REGION BLU-RAY and DVD Players
George Orwell's enduring dystopian masterpiece is brought vividly to life in this celebrated BBC production. Adapted by Nigel Kneale (The Quatermass Experiment), Nineteen Eighty-Four broke new ground for television drama when first broadcast in 1954. Featuring a stunning central performance from Peter Cushing as the doomed Winston Smith, this highly influential small screen landmark has been newly restored by the BFI using original film materials from the BBC archive.
One of the most requested BBC productions it's presented here for the very first time on Blu-ray and DVD and released to coincide with Kneale's centenary. Experience Orwell's haunting vision of a world dictated by tyranny and propaganda; Big Brother is watching.
Special Features and Technical Specs:
- Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
- Newly recorded commentary by Jon Dear, also featuring Toby Hadoke and Andy Murray
- Nigel Kneale: Into the Unknown (2022): writer, actor and stand-up comedian Toby Hadoke in conversation with Kneale biographer and programmer Andy Murray. Together they try to unpick who Nigel Kneale was, what he did and why his work still matters in 2022
- Late Night Line-Up (1965, 25 mins): excerpt from a rarely seen episode of the BBC series featuring Nigel Kneale, Peter Cushing, Yvonne Mitchell, Andre Morell and Rudolph Cartier
- Ministry of Truth (2022): Oliver Wake is interviewed by the BFI's Dick Fiddy as he dispels some of the myths surrounding the production and looks at the controversy it caused
- Illustrated booklet with new writing by Oliver Wake and David Ryan
- Newly commissioned sleeve art by Matt Needle