Notte, La (DVD)
Shipping calculated at checkout.
This psychologically acute, visually striking modernist work was director Michelangelo Antonioni’s follow-up to the epochal L’avventura. Marcello Mastroianni and Jeanne Moreau star as a novelist and his frustrated wife, who, over the course of one night, confront their alienation from each other and the achingly empty bourgeois Milan circles in which they travel. Antonioni’s muse Monica Vitti smolders as an industrialist’s tempting daughter. Moodily sensual cinematography and subtly expressive performances make La notte an indelible illustration of romantic and social deterioration.
- New digital restoration from a 4K film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- New interview with film critic Adriano Aprà and film historian Carlo di Carlo
- New interview with professor Giuliana Bruno on the role of architecture in La notte
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Richard Brody and a 1961 article by director Michelangelo Antonioni
New cover by Lucien S. Y. Yang