On The Beach (Limited Edition BLU-RAY)
IF YOU NEVER SEE ANOTHER MOTION PICTURE IN YOUR LIFE, YOU MUST SEE ON THE BEACH!
The war is over. Nobody won. Only the inhabitants of Australia and the men of the US submarine Sawfish have escaped the nuclear destruction and radiation. Captain Dwight Towers (Gregory Peck) takes the Sawfish on a mission to see if an approaching radiation cloud has weakened, but returns with grim news: the cloud is lethal. With the days and hours dwindling, each person confronts the grim situation in his or her own way.
The final chapter of human history is coming to a close…
From acclaimed director Stanley Kramer (The Defiant Ones, Inherit the Wind) and screenwriter John Paxton comes this spectacular movie landmark film masterpiece with a message that will resonate as long as the world has the power to self-destruct at its own fingertips.
Starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, Anthony Perkins & Donna Anderson.
Limited 2 Disc Hardbox edition with unique artwork, photo booklet & featuring Lawrence Johnston’s feature documentary Fallout. 1000 copies only.
Special Features and Technical Specs:
Disc One: On the Beach
- 1080p High-definition presentation on Blu-Ray by MGM
- NEW Audio Commentary by film scholar Adrian Martin (2021)
- Audio commentary written by On the Beach expert Dr. Philip Davey, read by actor Douglas Hansell (2015)
- Archival audio interview with actor Gregory Peck by Lawrence Johnston (1997)
- NEWLY Discovered Outtakes, Location Footage and Costume Test
- Big Stars Arrive In Melbourne – Newsreel (1958)
- Making On the Beach – 8mm amateur footage capturing location footage (1959)
- NEW Kim Newman on apocalypse cinema (2022)
- NEW No Safety Nets: Human Horror and On the Beach – video essay by Kat Ellinger (2022)
- NEW Clothes to Die For: On the Beach Costumes of Ava Gardner – video essay from costume historian Elissa Rose (2022)
- Theatrical Trailer and Original Radio Spots
- Photo Galleries featuring Stanley Kramer’s photo album (with optional descriptive text), Ava Gardner wardrobe tests, original film posters, lobby cards, stills and behind-the-scenes
- Original Aspect Ratio 1.66:1
- Audio English DTS-HD 5.1 Surround + LPCM 2.0 Stereo
- Optional English HOH subtitles
Disc Two: Fallout
- 1080p High-definition presentation on Blu-Ray
- Fallout – Lawrence Johnston’s 2013 feature documentary on the novel and Hollywood movie of On the Beach
- NEW After the Fallout – interview with director Lawrence Johnston (2022)
- Theatrical Trailer
- Original Aspect Ratio 1.78:1
- Audio English LPCM 2.0 Stereo