Revenge of Frankenstein, The (BLU-RAY)
UK Import. Blu-Ray is All Region. Should play on any Blu-ray player.
One of Hammer’s most enduring and successful releases, 1958’s The Revenge of Frankenstein was a swift sequel to The Curse of Frankenstein, their box-office smash of the year before. It ushered in Hammer’s most commercially lucrative period, and secured their new-found reputation as purveyors of gruesome Gothic horror.
Expertly and ingeniously re-working the classic tale, Jimmy Sangster’s script sees the titular doctor continue his grisly experiments under a new guise in a pauper’s hospital. Peter Cushing, in sparkling form, clearly relishes the role of Dr Frankenstein – creating an enduring anti-hero that would come to define both Hammer’s, and his own, on-screen personas.
INDICATOR BLU-RAY EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
- 4K restoration
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with film historians Marcus Hearn and Jonathan Rigby (2019)
- Audio commentary with horror and fantasy authors Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- Back from the Dead: Inside ‘The Revenge of Frankenstein’ (2019, 20 mins): exclusive documentary featuring Alan Barnes, Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby, exploring aspects of the film’s production
- A Frankenstein for the 20th Century (2019, 27 mins): video essay by film historian Kat Ellinger and editor Dima Ballin
- Hammer’s Women: Eunice Gayson (2019, 8 mins): profile of the Hammer star by film historian Pamela Hutchinson
- Arpeggios of Melancholy (2019, 13 mins): appreciation of composer Leonard Salzedo’s score by David Huckvale, the author of Hammer Film Scores and the Musical Avant-Garde
- Outtakes reel (1958, 12 mins, mute): rare, unseen on-set footage
- Super 8 version (8 mins, b&w, mute): cut-down home cinema presentation
- Original theatrical trailer
- Joe Dante trailer commentary (2013, 3 mins): short critical appreciation
- Image gallery: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and marketing materials
- New and improved subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing